Prince Andrew’s legal team rejected a lawsuit that accused the British royal of sexually abusing a woman when she was 17, asserting that the case was baseless and unlawful.
“This is a baseless, nonviable, potentially unlawful lawsuit,” said Prince Andrew’s attorney Andrew Brettler at a virtual hearing in the U.S. District Court on Sep. 13.
Brettler—a Los Angeles litigator—said that the plaintiff Virginia Giuffre had already signed a settlement agreement that releases Andrew from all liabilities.
Giuffre and late sex offender Jeffrey Epstein reached a sealed settlement in 2009 for a lawsuit she filed against him.
Giuffre has repeatedly accused Andrew of sexually assaulting her when she was a minor after being trafficked by Epstein 20 years ago.
“I am holding Prince Andrew accountable for what he did to me,” Giuffre said after suing Andrew in August.
Brettler added that Giuffre’s legal team did not properly serve Prince Andrew with legal papers required for the lawsuit to proceed.
However, Giuffre’s team said in an affidavit filed on Sep. 10 that a process server had left the papers with the security detail of Andrew’s home, the Royal Lodge in Windsor, on Aug. 27.
U.S. District Judge Lewis Kaplan directed the parties to finalize procedural motions before he decides on the service of the lawsuit. The next hearing was scheduled on Oct. 13.
© Fourth Estate® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.