New Zealand closed relocation requests for Afghans who worked with troops during the occupation amid ongoing chaos at Kabul airport, the New Zealand foreign affairs ministry said in a statement.
The ministry stated, “The imminent withdrawal of the US from Hamid Karzai international airport, which has been critical to sustain our operations in Kabul, means that our ability to help individuals on the ground is very limited. We cannot guarantee that we will be able to assist all those we are seeking to evacuate.”
The ministry’s declaration also stated that the limited time remaining for evacuation flights to depart and the evacuation window closing immediately was the reason why the country will no longer accept applications to resettle from Afghan nationals.
New Zealand did not provide a sure number of evacuees for privacy and security reasons, which means there is no way to know how many of the troops, translators, and Afghan workers who supported the army were successfully relocated.
Commander of the Eurocorps New Zealand Major General Jim Gilmour told Stuff on Wednesday, August 25, that about 200 on New Zealand’s list have been evacuated so far.
The New Zealand immigration website however indicated that while relocation efforts have come to a close, the country’s effort to assist those who have helped their troops does not end here, and will be assisting Afghan nationals in other ways.
© Fourth Estate® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.