At Least 36 People Killed after Night Raid in Nigerian Village

At least 36 villagers were killed after a group of unidentified gunmen attacked a village near the central Nigerian city of Jos late Tuesday, authorities said.

According to a military spokesman, the attackers raided many houses in the village of Yelwa Zangam, killing dozens of people and destroying buildings.

Local officials said authorities and troops had a hard time going to the location of the incident because the bridge that they needed to use to reach the village got destroyed.

In a statement, Plateau State Governor Simon Lalong defined the night raid as a “barbaric act”, adding that security forces had already arrested 10 suspects and are currently in pursuit of the other perpetrators.

The state government also decided to reinstate the 24-hour curfew in the area starting from 4 p.m. on Wednesday to ensure the security of the public.

“The proactive decision became necessary following eminent threat to lives and properties within the Local Government Area and the need to forestall the breakdown of law and order,” Makut Simon Macham, a spokesman for the Plateau State Government, said in a statement.

Jos has been plagued with violence over the previous weeks as fights continue to break out between the Hausa-Fulani group, which is one of the most populous and influential ethnicities in Nigeria, and several other ethnic minorities.

Authorities had previously mandated a curfew after a group of armed men ambushed a convoy of 90 Muslims in the outskirts of Jos on August 14, killing at least 22 people.


© Fourth Estate® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.