Security forces in Myanmar has killed over 1,000 people since the military staged a coup last February, a human rights group said on Aug. 18.
The Assistance Association for Political Prisoners (AAPP) said that the seven deaths recorded on Aug. 18 brought the tally to 1,006, but the group warned that the actual number of fatalities could be higher.
According to AAPP, the “terrorist” military soldiers killed seven “fallen heroes” from Minkin Township and Shwebo Township in Sagaing Region and Pauk Township in Magway Region between Aug. 12 to Aug. 17.
AAPP identified the victims as Zaw Myo Myint, Zin Mar Win, Bo Aung, Chit Lwin, Phoe Toke, Hla Myint Oo, and Nan.
Some of the victims died in their villages during military raids.
AAPP also said that a total of 5,730 people are currently under detention — 255 of which have been sentenced to prison while 26, including two children, have been sentenced to death.
AAPP added that 1,984 people are evading arrest warrants.
Senior General Min Aung Hlaing said in late May that 300 people had been killed, but the military has not released more recent figures.
Security forces have also seen a rise in casualties among their numbers as armed rebel groups against the coup have been growing in both urban and rural areas.
© Fourth Estate® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.