Belgium Opens Manslaughter Investigation Over Deadly Floods

A Belgian judge has launched an investigation for possible manslaughter over floods that killed dozens and destroyed several towns, the prosecutor’s office announced on July 28.

According to the prosecutors in the city of Liege in southern Belgium, the investigating judge will identify who might be responsible for “involuntary homicide by lack of foresight or precaution” involving the deadly floods that took place on July 14 to 15.

The floods, which were the worst in Belgium for years, killed 38 people, the federal police told AFP News on July 28.

Some residents suspect that officials mishandled the flooding systems, which could have worsened the flooding.

The announcement came after a political party earlier this week requested the appointment of a parliamentary commission to investigate the deadly floods.

The Humanist Democratic Center (CDH) said that it hopes the investigating commission would clarify the flood situation and not launch a “witch hunt.”

“The urgency remains to help the victims, and all the efforts must be directed currently on the management of the crisis,” the CDH party said, as quoted by media reports.

Groups of Belgians are also considering taking legal action against the state, alleging failure to protect them.

British online newspaper The Independent reported that residents of towns near Liege have also called for an independent investigation.


© Fourth Estate® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.