A judge ruled on May 30 that the three men arrested over a cable car accident that killed 14 people in northern Italy should be released from jail.
Judge Donatella Banci Buonamici cited a “total lack of evidence” in the ruling against two of the suspects, allowing them to leave jail, but placed the third suspect under house arrest.
According to Buonamici, Gabriele Tadini, the chief of operations of cable car company Ferrovie del Mottarone, attempted to shift the blame to his two superiors after acting “with total disregard for human life, with bewildering carelessness.”
Tadini admitted to investigators that he had deactivated the emergency brake system — which could have prevented the crash — because it was malfunctioning.
Tadini then insisted that he acted in agreement with company owner Luigi Nerini and Technical Director Enrico Perocchio.
Marcello Perillo, Tadini’s lawyer, said that there was “no proof at present” that Nerini and Perocchio were also responsible.
“They are people who should have known, but it’s not clear if they did,” Perillo said.
Perrochio, who was in charge of safety checks on the cable car, said that he did not know that the brakes had been blocked.
“I’ve got 21 years of experience with lifts that use cables, I know that’s something you don’t ever, ever do,” Perrochio said, according to Italian newspaper La Repubblica.
The three suspects remain under investigation.
Police arrested the three suspects last May 26 on charges of suspected involuntary manslaughter and negligence related to the cable car accident last May 23.
The cable car carried 15 people between the resort town of Stresa and the nearby Mottarone mountain in the Piedmont region when it crashed into the woods near Lake Maggiore.
© Fourth Estate® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.