Hong Kong Authorities Ban Tiananmen Candlelight Vigil for Second Year

Hong Kong authorities announced on Thursday that it would ban the candlelight vigil on June 4 which aims to commemorate the tragic crackdown on pro-democracy demonstration in Beijing’s Tiananmen Square.

In a statement, the Hong Kong Alliance in Support of Patriotic Democratic Movements of China said that Hong Kong police had been against the June 4 event due to COVID-19 restrictive measures that prohibit people from holding large gatherings.

The Hong Kong Alliance has been organizing the candlelight vigil for more than three decades already. However, authorities refused to give permission to hold the event for the second year in a row due to the dangers posed by the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

“We will continue to fight for the right to mourn June 4 lawfully,” the democratic movement said in a statement, adding that it would ask Hong Kong authorities to reconsider their decision.

According to security minister John Lee, “anyone who participates in it (the vigil) will violate the law” and warned that the new security law imposed by Beijing can be used against those people who would go against the prohibition.

“The national security law clearly states that if anyone organizes, plans or carries out any illegal means to damage or overthrow the fundamental system under the Chinese constitution, it would constitute subverting state power,” Lee said in a press release.


© Fourth Estate® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.