New York City Pride Organizers Ban Police From Participating in Its Events Until 2025

Organizers of New York City (NYC) Pride announced on May 15 that they have banned police and other law enforcement personnel from participating in their events until 2025.

“The sense of safety that law enforcement is meant to provide can instead be threatening, and at times dangerous, to those in our community who are most often targeted with excessive force and/or without reason,” Heritage of Pride, the nonprofit organization that holds the NYC Pride events, stated in the announcement.

“NYC Pride is unwilling to contribute in any way to creating an atmosphere of fear or harm for members of the community,” the organizers further said.

The organizers said that they will instead reallocate first response and security services to “trained private security, community leaders, and volunteers” and that the New York Police Department (NYPD) will provide their services “only when absolutely necessary as mandated by city officials.”

NYPD will also not be allowed to speak at NYC Pride events or use any NYC Pride platform, the organizers said.

“The steps being taken by the organization challenge law enforcement to acknowledge their harm and to correct course moving forward, in hopes of making an impactful change,” the organizers said.

“There’s always been aggression by law enforcement and it’s been an issue in the community for years,” Heritage of Pride Spokesperson Dan Dimant told CNN, citing events last year, including the protests sparked by the death of George Floyd who was killed by police.

The group’s executive board and committees will further review the policy and the police’s participation in 2025, according to the statement.

NYPD Deputy Commissioner John Miller described the decision as “hurtful and disappointing.”

The annual NYC Pride March is scheduled for June 27 this year.


© Fourth Estate® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.