Former Maldives President Flown to Germany for Treatment After Bomb Attack

Former Maldives President and current Parliament Speaker Mohamed Nasheed has been flown to Germany for further medical treatment a week after being critically wounded in a bomb attack.

ADK Hospital, where Nasheed had undergone 16 hours of life-saving surgery, stated on Twitter on May 13 that they have released him and that he was traveling overseas for rehabilitation and recovery.

Nasheed’s brother, Nazim Sattar, said that the politician has been flown to Germany for further treatment.

Nasheed had been in intensive care after a bomb explosion injured him outside of his residence in the capital of Malé last May 6.

Police have arrested three men, including prime suspect Adhuham Ahmed Rasheed, alleged to be involved in the blast of what police said was a homemade explosive device planted onto a motorcycle.

Police continue to search for others suspected to be involved in the blast.

Police also said that the attack involved Islamic extremism.

No group has claimed responsibility for the attack.

The blast also injured two members of Nasheed’s security team and two bystanders, including a British citizen.


© Fourth Estate® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.