U.S. Welcomes Taliban 3-Day Ceasefire

The United States welcomed the Taliban’s announcement of a three-day ceasefire due to this week’s Eid holiday and urged it to extend the ceasefire as U.S. troops withdraw from Afghanistan, State Department spokesman Ned Price said Monday. 

The U.S. condemned an attack on a girls school in Kabul on Sunday, but was still looking into who was responsible for the attack, Price said, adding that the Islamic State had been responsible for similar attacks. 

On Saturday, the U.S. condemned an attack on a girls school in Afghanistan’s capital, Kabul, but Price said it was still looking into who was responsible for the attack. 

Price added that the Islamic State has been responsible for similar attacks in the past. The Taliban has denied any involvement in Saturday’s attack. 

“We call on the Taliban and Afghan leaders to engage seriously in the ongoing peace process to ensure the Afghan people enjoy a future free of terrorism and of senseless violence,” Price said. 


© Fourth Estate® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.