Philippines Bans Travelers from India

The Philippines has banned travelers from India starting April 29 to May 14 amid the surge of COVID-19 cases in the South Asian nation.

Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said on Tuesday that those covered by the travel ban are those coming from India and those who have travel history to India within the last 14 days.

“[Translated in English] The President has approved the recommendation of the Inter-Agency Task Force to ban all passengers from India, including Filipinos,” Roque said to the local reporters.

Roque added that President Rodrigo Duterte might expand the travel ban from other countries that have reported cases of the new variant.

According to the health department, the double-mutant variant, which was formally called B.1.617 has so far reached six countries but is yet to be detected in the Philippines.


© Fourth Estate® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.