The Philippine government announced that it has topped the one million mark on Monday, signifying the country’s grim milestone as it continues to grapple because of a fresh surge in coronavirus infection.
According to the Department of Health (DOH), 8,929 new coronavirus cases have been recorded on Monday, bringing the Philippines’ total COVID-19 infections to 1,006,428 since the pandemic emerged in the country last year.
In a press release, health authorities told the public that 70 new deaths and 11,333 new recoveries were recorded on the same day.
Authorities also blamed the rampant new variants of COVID-19, as well as the public’s vaccine complacency, for being some of the factors why infection rates in the country continued escalating significantly.
Because of the new surge, health experts warned that it would be dangerous if the government would lift the stern restrictions that it had implemented just to open up the country’s economy.
“If we look at the data, I think we need to extend MECQ (modified enhanced community quarantine) for another week or two because our health system capacity has yet to significantly improve. The intensive care unit capacity in several cities is still at critical risk classification,” DOH Secretary Francisco Duque said in a statement.
DOH said the country’s active COVID-19 cases currently stood at 74,623.
© Fourth Estate
® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.