Rusten Sheskey, the Kenosha police officer who shot Jacob Blake seven times last year, has returned to active duty and will not face discipline, the police chief announced on April 13.
Police Chief Daniel Miskins said in a press release that Sheskey has returned from administrative leave as of March 31 and “was found to have been acting within policy and will not be subjected to discipline.”
“He acted within the law and was consistent with training,” Miskinis stated.
“Although this incident has been reviewed at multiple levels, I know that some will not be pleased with the outcome; however, given the facts, the only lawful and appropriate decision was made,” Miskinis further stated.
Patrick Salvi Jr., one of Blake’s attorneys, described the police believing Sheskey acted within policy and training “a very sad state of affairs.”
“But that’s not true and we’ll prove it in our lawsuit,” Salvi said.
Last March 25, Blake filed a federal lawsuit against Sheskey for damages.
The shooting left Blake, a Black man, paralyzed from the waist down.
Last January, Kenosha County District Attorney Michael Graveley told reporters that Sheskey, and the other officers involved in the shooting, would not face charges.
A video of the shooting incident last Aug. 23 showed that police shot Blake from behind when he opened the door of his car.
An investigation by the state Justice Department found that Blake had a knife in the moments that led up to the shooting.
Blake said he picked up the knife before heading to his car and was prepared to surrender once he put it down inside the vehicle.
Protests quickly followed the shooting, which occurred only a few months after George Floyd died while Minneapolis officers tried to arrest him.
© Fourth Estate
® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.