The day's most important news and information. A Fourth Estate® Service

Wednesday, April 21, 2021

France Makes Rwandan Genocide Archives Public

French President Emmanuel Macron opened to the public 8,000 documents from the National Archive linked to French activities in Rwanda as part of a pledge to examine their role in the 1994 genocide.

The archives were opened to the general public last Wednesday, the 27th anniversary of the genocide.

The opening of the archives was the response to a government-ordered report released last March which alleged that French authorities “remained blind to the preparations for genocide,” and supported ex-Rwandan president Juvénal Habyarimana who was involved.

The report however cleared former French President Francois Mitterrand, of any links to the 800,000 people who were killed because of the genocide.

“It shows the desire, even for leaders in France, to move forward with a good understanding of what happened,” said Rwandan President Paul Kagame during the Rwandan Genocide Anniversary ceremony. 

Macron said that he hoped that the pledge would help their relations with Rwanda.

Relations were further strained between France and Rwanda after genocide suspects including Rwandan officials and weapons supplier Felicien Kabuga fled to France but only a few were tried while Kabuga was only caught in May last year. 

Article © 2021 Fourth Estate® — All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Recent Articles

spot_img

Get the Daily NewsBrief in your inbox

Related Stories