Over 50 people have died after flash floods and landslides swept through eastern Indonesia and neighboring country Timor-Leste on April 4, officials said, warning that the death toll could still rise.
Floods and landslides caused by heavy rainfall that lasted for several hours brought widespread destruction, overflowing dams and destroying thousands of homes on the affected areas stretching from Flores Island in Indonesia to Timor-Leste.
“Four sub-districts and seven villages have been impacted. After verifying the data with our team in the field, we found that there are 41 people dead,” Indonesian Disaster Mitigation Agency Spokesperon Raditya Jati said at a virtual press conference.
The death toll was previously at 44.
Jati also said that 27 people were still missing and nine people were wounded.
However, East Flores Deputy Regent Agustinus Payong Boli estimated as many as 60 casualties in his municipality.
“The majority of them, 55, are in Lemanele village. Many people died here because the village was hit by both landslides and flash flood,” Bali told AFP News.
National authorities have not yet confirmed the numbers provided by Bali.
A mudslide in Lemanele struck nearly 50 houses.
According to reports, the injured have been evacuated to neighboring villages and health facilities that the flash floods did not affect.
In Timor-Leste, floods in the capital of Dili killed at least 11 people, according to officials.
“We are still searching for the areas impacted by the natural disasters,” Secretary of State for Civil Protection for Timor-Leste Joaquim Jose Gusmao dos Reis Martins said.
Authorities warned that the number of casualties, including those injured, could still further rise.
© Fourth Estate
® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.