The Whistler Blackcomb ski resort in British Columbia will be closed for almost a month as the P1 Brazil variant continues to spread in the community.
Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry ordered for the of the resort until April 19 as part of B.C.’s “circuit breaker.”
Henry said that Whistler has “too many cases” despite testing, contact tracing, and workers immunization in the community.
“We are starting to see cases increase again in that community, particularly in the past week with the more worrisome cluster of the P1 Brazil variant of concern,” Henry said.
“We’ve also seen transmission from travel to and from other communities across B.C. from the Whistler area.”
Whistler Blackcomb Chief Executive Officer Geoff Buchheister said that they believe the best thing they can do to support the order was to “wind-down” winter operations.
“We did not make this decision lightly as we know our employees and our community put so much effort into following our COVID operating guidelines so we could safely operate this season. Our full attention will now turn to get our resort ready to safely open for summer,” he added.
Whistler has recorded 1,120 COVID-19 cases from the start of January to March 28, having 218 of them last week alone.
© Fourth Estate
® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.