At Least 14 Wounded During Indonesia Church Suicide Bombing

A suicide bombing attack rocked a Roman Catholic church compound in Makassar, South Sulawesi during a Palm Sunday mass leaving at least 14 people injured.

According to the police, two suicide bombers aboard a motorcycle detonated an improvised explosive at the side entrance of the Sacred Heart of Jesus Cathedral around 10:30 a.m. local time. 

Wilhemus Tulak, a priest at the church said the bombers had been stopped by a security guard and were unable to get inside. 

Makassar Mayor Danny Pomanto theorized that the explosion would have been deadlier if the bomb was detonated at the church’s main gate instead of a side entrance.

Indonesian President Joko Widodo said he “strongly condemned this act of terror” and advised citizens to remain calm while they investigate the incident

“Terrorism is a crime against humanity. I call on everyone to fight against terror and radicalism, which go against religious values,” added Widodo. 

No group has claimed responsibility for the attack yet while Indonesian Religious Affairs Minister Yaqut Cholil Qoumas demanded stronger security around places of worship.


© Fourth Estate® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.