Huge Explosions in Equatorial Guinea Kill At Least 20, Injure Over 600

A series of powerful explosions at a military base in Equatorial Guinea on March 7 has killed at least 20 people and has injured over 600, officials reported.

President Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo said in a statement on state television TVGE that “negligent handling of dynamite” stored at military barracks caused the explosions in Mondong Nkuantoma in the city of Bata.

The health ministry said that many were still missing and buried under the rubble.

“The contingent of health workers with the fire department are deployed in the place providing health care and transferring the seriously and very seriously injured in the hospitals of La Paz, Nuevo Inseso, and the Regional Hospital of Bata,” the health ministry said on Twitter.

The health ministry has also asked for blood donations and volunteer health personnel due to the high number of casualties.

Calling in to TVGE, a doctor who only revealed his first name, Florentino, said hospitals were overcrowded and called the explosions, a “moment of crisis.”

TVGE showed people going through the rubble and debris of collapsed buildings to look for survivors.

TVGE and images on social media also showed huge smoke from the site where at least five explosions were thought to have taken place.

Mbasago stated that nearly all the buildings in the largest city of Equatorial Guinea had been damaged by the explosions.


© Fourth Estate® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.