Kidnappers Release 279 Nigerian Schoolgirls

The Zamfara state governor, Bello Matawalle told Al Jazeera that all the girls taken from the Government Girls Secondary School in Jangebe village have been released.

“Today, we have received the children who were under captivity since Friday. I initiated a peace accord which yielded a positive result. No ransom was paid to anyone. I insisted that we were not going to give anything to any of them,” Matawalle told Al Jazeera.

He added that the students would undergo medical examinations before being reunited with their families.

Confirming the number of kidnapped schoolgirls as 279 Sulaiman Tanau Anka, Zamfara state spokesman, said that some of the girls escaped into the bush at the time of the kidnap.

Authorities previously said that 317 girls were abducted.


© Fourth Estate® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.