Trinidad and Tobago will Impose Stronger Penalties on Trafficking of Venezuelans

The government of Trinidad and Tobago announces on Friday morning it would impose stiffer penalties on those trafficking migrants from Venezuela, a couple of days after a Venezuelan boat headed to the Caribbean nation sank, killing 30 people including women and children.

The government of Trinidad and Tobago announces on Friday morning it would impose stiffer penalties on those trafficking migrants from Venezuela, a couple of days after a Venezuelan boat headed to the Caribbean nation sank, killing 30 people including women and children.

During a press conference, Trinidad and Tobago’s Prime Minister Keith Rowley said that his government had received more “fleeing Venezuelans” than any other nation “per square kilometer and per capita,” pointing out there would be “new and firmer laws for persons who encourage illegal trade and stiffer penalties for human trafficking.”

His announcement came the same day Venezuela’s Chief Prosecutor Tarek William Saab announced two people had been arrested in relation to the shipwreck last weekend off the eastern Venezuelan coast. 

Saab also said that arrest warrants have also been issued for seven national guard officers who had extorted the equivalent of $4,500 from the owner of the boat in exchange for overlooking his trafficking business.


© Fourth Estate® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.