UN Halts Operations in South Sudan after Killing of Aid Workers

The United Nations said that it would halt operations in the region after a second aid worker had been murdered in South Sudan.

The United Nations said that it would halt operations in the region after a second aid worker had been murdered in South Sudan.

A member of the child rights organization Plan International was shot dead last Thursday on a road near Pibor town while a member of Nile Hope, a South Sudanese non-governmental organization, in Jonglei state was gunned down by armed youths.

UN Humanitarian Coordinator in South Sudan, Alain Noudéhou, has condemned the violence which has been present in the region for a long time. 

“I am appalled by these repeated acts of violence against humanitarians. The violence and the impunity must stop,” said Noudéhou.

Both deceased humanitarian workers were identified to be South Sudanese.

 There has been a total of nine aid workers that were killed this year in South Sudan which brings it to a total of 124 since 2013.


© Fourth Estate® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.