Post-presidential election unrest in Guinea has killed a total of 21 people since Oct. 19, RTG state news channel reported last Oct. 26.
Post-presidential election unrest in Guinea has killed a total of 21 people, including security forces officers, since Oct. 19, RTG state news channel reported last Oct. 26.
The government previously said that the number of dead were at 10.
According to a statement from United Kingdom-based human rights organization Amnesty International last Oct. 25, security forces opened fire at protesters, killing at least 9 individuals.
The clash between security officers and protesters across the West African country followed Cellou Dalein Diallo’s self-proclaimed victory in the elections, citing data gathered by his supporters at polling stations.
A diplomatic delegation comprising of officials from the United Nations (UN), the African Union, and the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) arrived in Guinea last Oct. 25 to attempt to ease the unrest, international news agency Agence France-Press (AFP) reported.
AFP also reported that the delegation, which included ECOWAS Commission President Jean-Claude Kassi Brou and UN Special Representative to West Africa Mohamed Ibn Chambas, met with ministers and government officials last Oct. 26.
Official election results say that President Alpha Conde won with 59.5% of the votes in the election held last Oct. 18, handing him his third term.
However, Diallo alleged fraud even before the announcement of the results and said he would file a complaint with the Constitutional Court.
© Fourth Estate® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.